[Homeroast] freshness of greens

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 22:54:30 CST 2011

No need to be embarrassed Ed. At one time when purely a home roaster I'd set
my "limit" at 100lb stash. But it went over so I changed my "limit" to
100keys. And it still went over! IIRC it was 6 or 8 years ago peaked at 63
different greens weighing in 270 something pounds, don't remember the exact
figure and not going to search the list archives! It was also around the
same time I concluded a 4 year 5 crop cycle vac'd at room temp storage test
using Costa Rica La Minita. And after that test proved just vac'ing at room
temp not good enough for even a couple years when I started testing vac
freezing greens and found it worked marvelously just as freezing roasts had
worked marvelously for me over 2 decades now. Funny how 3 year old and older
vac'd beans taste "baggy" like burlap when not stored in burlap! And while
the 2 year old vac'd room temp was showing major signs of degrading it still
out cupped that year's current crop La Minita, obviously not a good year for
Costa Rica. The one year vac'd was the best. Oh, samples of the test set
sent to Tom to cup so not just my palate doing the tasting BTW.

How times change. In the last 3 days roasted more than my way back then
"over sized stash"! (busy running around shopping and other owner duties for
our 3 locations so only roasted 3 critically needed batches yesterday)
Before the end of this coming week will have roasted more than double that
stash :)

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/