[Homeroast] freshness of greens

sci scizen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 19:26:24 CST 2011

Two subjects sure to start a discussion among homeroasters: pre and post
roast bean storage.
I fully understand Tom's perspective, and wish I had it, but it's different
than the average homeroaster I think. At least different than mine. I do
have a need and a desire to grab beans that I love and hold on to them a
while. a long while. I do use vacuum sealers and I have a non-defrosting
[important] deep freeze. I stored some legendary IMV from 2007 for 4 years.
I roasted it and it was still stupendously fruited with its vaunted
"blueberry pancake syrup" notes! Had it lost any flavor. Probably. Did I
care? Nope. How else was I supposed to get a cup of 07 IMV in 2011, and to
what would I be able to compare it except my memory and notes? I bought a
bunch of the Koratie DP because it was even better, and I still have about
3 lbs in the deep stash. Ok, yes I'm an Ethipoian DP nut, but aren't we all
some kind of nut? Tom has coffee galore, coffee I can only dream about,
samples from all over the Earth, stuff we'll never taste, and an endless
stream of fresh lots he may never even sell. But I know what I like, and
when it comes along, I'm gonna stock up on it. I can only thank you Tom for
finding it for us.
FWIW,
Ivan