[Homeroast] freshness of greens

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Wed Dec 14 23:30:00 CST 2011

That is what I claimed when I started in 1997, knowing little but
what people said in the trade. Those people were wrong, basically.
It's really about the climate it is stored in, changes in heat and
moisture/humidity, and how you store it. Let's say here in the SF Bay
area, which is pretty ideal. 2 years in jute would be totally baggy
tasting. Everyone would notice it. 2 years in Grainpro barrier bags
or vacuum pack would be faded and definitely noticeable by most
people. Perhaps the only way would be vacuum packed and frozen (in a
real freezer too). George Howell does this with success at Terroir
coffee. I have some tests under way in this too, but it is a moot
point because I usually don't want a coffee that long anyway - there
are too many new things to try to want to store old stuff and
dedicate a freezer to that... Anyway, in a dramatically dry climate,
Arizona, which also has monsoon season basically, nothing can save
green coffee - no packaging except (perhaps) the vac pack frozen. I
have tasted green coffee that is already off/tainted after 6 weeks
from a climate like that!

>Can someone remind me of how long you typically can keep green coffee beans
>before they get stale.  Was it that they are typically stale two years
>after being harvested?

-Tom