[Homeroast] chaff

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:38:51 CST 2011


I'm more careful with ET/MET with chaffy coffees as not to singe the
remaining surface chaff/mucilage which can then effect the taste. I'll
cut down the batch size if necessary to maintain the desired time
profile while being able to slightly lower the heat applied.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM, michael kaericher <mike_kae at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have found no difference in flavor,  but I do get more spritzes in my espresso shots when there is a lot of chaff.
>
> -Mike
>
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 5:47 PM CST Janomac wrote:
>
>>There simply is not enough difference in taste (actually none that I can
>>tell) to make it worth the effort of total removal.
>>Over the past few years, that has been the general opinion of this list.
>>
>>A few folks have taken chaff from their roasting and made a tea (as Terry
>>from Hawaii mentioned). It is pretty "weak" stuff with little flavor.
>>Making tea from the pulped coffee cherry (Yemen = Qishr) is altogether
>>different and produces a mildly acidic, delicate, herbal flavor not unlike
>>a weak infusion of hibiscus & rosehips.
>>
>> I roast light and almost always have some "skin" clinging to the beans
>>(depends upon the variety). It is evident after grinding and I can blow
>>much of it out when I grind medium to course (for French Press), but it
>>just gets all over everything and clings by static charge to everything.
>>
>>Kirk
>>"Janomac"
>>(resident chaffinista)
>>
>>On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM, j3r <j at j3r.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering what people's thoughts on chaff are as far as taste goes. I
>>> have a bean that when roasted still has significant chaff left on it. Is it
>>> worth trying to rub it off or will it not affect anything? I have read to
>>> not worry, but I come here for the expert's opinion :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jer
>>>
>>> ______________________________**_________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>>> http://lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.**
>>> sweetmariascoffee.com<http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>>> <a href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
>>> ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
>>> new Coffee Library</a>
>>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Homeroast mailing list
>>Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>><a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>><a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>



-- 
Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/



More information about the Homeroast mailing list