[Homeroast] chaff

Janomac janomac at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:47:51 CST 2011

There simply is not enough difference in taste (actually none that I can
tell) to make it worth the effort of total removal.
Over the past few years, that has been the general opinion of this list.

A few folks have taken chaff from their roasting and made a tea (as Terry
from Hawaii mentioned). It is pretty "weak" stuff with little flavor.
Making tea from the pulped coffee cherry (Yemen = Qishr) is altogether
different and produces a mildly acidic, delicate, herbal flavor not unlike
a weak infusion of hibiscus & rosehips.

 I roast light and almost always have some "skin" clinging to the beans
(depends upon the variety). It is evident after grinding and I can blow
much of it out when I grind medium to course (for French Press), but it
just gets all over everything and clings by static charge to everything.

Kirk
"Janomac"
(resident chaffinista)