[Homeroast] Stale? You bet it matters!

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Thu Aug 25 13:04:31 CDT 2011

I think how they are stored makes a big difference. All you who
follow our FB page saw the saga of the 2 year old EL Salvador
Matalapa Peaberry that the post office "misplaced" - ie they never
even attempted delivery. They just tucked it in a corner somewhere.
Anyway, it was stale, but I was really suprised how many good
qualities it still had in aroma and flavor. It was weird. But in a
hopper I think the oxidation would be huge, and add to that humididty
changes etc... The matalapa was in a gold foil valve bag and probably
just sat in one place, mild temperature, etc...
By the way: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Marias/23041749506

Tom

>I had a small 150 gram batch of Rwanda Dukunde Kawa Musasa that I
>was enjoying prior to a 2 week vacation.  Couldn't bear to toss what
>was left before leaving, so I left it in the grinder.  Came back and
>brewed a cup upon my return to finish it off.  Aarghh!  Beans were
>perhaps 23 days post-roast.  Tasted like Folgers.  Amazing,
>unintended experiment in deterioration.

-Tom