[Homeroast] Variac question

Dean dean_schaffran at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 20 20:58:28 CDT 2011

Dennis,

Last question first: it will likely make little or no
difference--you're only seeing a 2% under "nominal" no-load and
another 3% sag under load. (old school said 110-120 was normal voltage
at the outlet in USA)

With a 15(20) min roast 5% is 45(60) sec and that's the "range of
normal" that I find with my Behmor. (Though it's a great rig for a
400g roaster, the cycles show a fair degree of variation, and even
with all the settings it's hard to control well--I had better control
with my Rosto, but much smaller batches)

As far as sizing I respectfully disagree with MMc: per the website for
superior electric, the ratings are continuous duty.  If you allow some
time to cool down you can exceed the rating for a while.  Search the
archive for something that I discussed with miKe mcCoffee a few years
ago.  I think that a 1000w unit would be adequate for batch use, but
check the duty cycle first...

Dean
Havin a martini in da weeds......