[Homeroast] Variac question

Dennis Guyer adg22 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 20 17:52:16 CDT 2011

My normal line voltage is 117.5.  I am wondering if using a Variac would be of help.  The only one I have found in my price range is at Fry's and it will handle 1000 watts.  I see the Behmor is rated at 1650 watts.  If this will not handle the power, what are others using?  When I am roasting my line voltage drops to around 114 to 114.5 most of the time.  On some good days it will hit 15 to 15.5.  Any suggestions?  Is it worth it to use the Variac or will it make little difference?

Thanks for any input,

Dennis G