[Homeroast] Using a Variac to control a GeneCafe

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Wed Aug 17 12:07:15 CDT 2011

A variac is not a voltage regulation device.  The output is simply a
multiplier that can be set and the output varies with the input.  For
example, if you have it set to 110% and have an input of 110v, the output
will be 121v. (1.1 X 110) If the input voltage goes to 120v, the output will
go to 132v.  (1.1 X 120)  Where the variac is useful, is where your typical
line voltage is low, say 105v, you can boost it to about 118V which is a lot
closer to the optimum voltage for your device.  It is also ideal to control
the heat on a manually controlled roaster.
There are true voltage regulating devices, but one that would handle a
roaster would be cost prohibitive for most home roasters.

Mike