[Homeroast] More good coffee news

Bob Glasscock eglasscock at centurytel.net
Tue Aug 16 19:13:55 CDT 2011

This came from a news blog I subscribe to:

Coffee has been shown to reduce the risk of skin cancer by helping kill
off damaged cells that could otherwise turn into tumors, according to a
new U.S. study.

The findings indicate that moderate caffeine drinking, or perhaps even
applying coffee to the skin, could be useful in warding off
non-melanoma cancer, the most commonly diagnosed of all skin cancers.

Using mice that had been genetically altered to suppress a protein
enzyme called ATR, researchers showed that the mice were able to fend
off cancer even when exposed to ultraviolet light.

Previous studies have suggested that drinking about a cup of
caffeinated coffee per day has the effect of suppressing ATR and
triggering the die-off of cells harmed by UV rays.

The altered mice eventually did develop cancer, but three weeks later
than normal mice, according to the study published Monday in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

After 19 weeks of ultraviolet light exposure, the engineered mice
showed 69 percent fewer tumors and four times fewer invasive tumors
than the control group.

However, the protective effects only went so far. After 34 weeks of UV
exposure, all the mice developed tumors.

"Eventually, if you treat them long enough, the mice will develop
cancer so it is not 100 percent protection forever," Allan Conney, one
of the study's authors, told AFP.

"Really, with almost any carcinogen, eventually all the animals will
develop tumors," added Conney, who is director of the Susan Lehman
Cullman Laboratory for Cancer Research at Rutgers University in New
Jersey.

Conney and his team were able to confirm their hypothesis that caffeine
— when consumed or applied to the skin — works by inhibiting ATR.
Now they say more studies are needed to see how it may work on humans.

"We want to see whether caffeine has an effect in people when you give
it topically," he said.

"Caffeine might become a weapon in prevention because it inhibits ATR
and also acts as a sunscreen and directly absorbs damaging UV light."

Skin cancer is the most prevalent cancer in the United States, with
more than one million new cases each year, according to the National
Cancer Institute.

Non-melanoma types of skin cancer, including basal cell and squamous
cell types, are the most commonly diagnosed and are often treatable if
detected early.

Previous studies have shown coffee drinkers tend to have fewer
incidences of breast, uterine, prostate, and colon cancers, but the
beneficial effects are not seen in people who drink decaffeinated
coffee.

Source: www.newsmaxhealth.com
Bob Glasscock
Greenville, AL