[Homeroast] Time between first and second crack

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 11:04:11 CDT 2011

My considerations of start of first slightly varies by the
prep/consistency of the lot. You tend to get more outliers with mixed
varietals and ripenesses. I generally shoot for 3min +- for brewed and
4+- for espresso

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:57 AM, John monteleone
<johnmonteleone at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been roasting on a Behmor for the past couple of months. As everyone seems to be suggesting, i'm try to extend the time between first and second crack as long as possible to maximize flavor. My goal is to maximize the time but not go into second crack.  My question is when do you start the timing. After the very first Audible crack.  Sometimes it can 10 or15 seconds before the cracks really start coming. Should I always start the timer at that first crack. With a P4 profile roasting a half pound beans on a one pound setting, I typically get to first crack around 13 minutes and typically roast for another 1:45 ish. With that, I never into 2nd crack. Although I think I'm close.  Any comments on all of that.
> Thanks.
> John

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.