[Homeroast] Nerves roasting $18/lb coffee! And resulting roast questions....

Ken Knott esprcorn at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 12 14:41:57 CDT 2011

So I decided to take the plunge and see just what an $18/lb coffee must taste like...  I bought a lb of the Guatemala Acatenango Gesha.

I use a Gene Cafe roaster and the following profile.  The times listed a total time...  And the temps are roaster not bean temps...

0-5 min 300
5-9 min 452
9-11 min 462
11- First Crack 482
First Crack to finish - 462

Now with the Gene Cafe your taking some time to reach those temps..  It might take until 9 min to get to 462.. 11 to get to 482, etc...

The first 5 min are basically equilibrating the beans..

This Roast Profile is one that I have been using for years and was developed by someone much more knowledgeable on the message board and I'm just duplicating it...

Anywhooo....  Here's comes the nervous part....

Between my previous roast and the Gesha I forgot to reset the temp to 300 and instead started it at 462...  So the ramp was faster than usual...  I just adjusted by changing the temps when it reached the end point rather than at specific time points.

So, here's my question...

When I reached first crack this time it was much louder (and a minute or two faster than usual), vibrant and longer lasting than when I do the typical profile I listed above.  IS that the result of the faster temperature ramp?  Or the beans?  Or ???
What will be the result?  And is a bright, loud first crack lasting about a minute what I'm really supposed to be going for?

Anyway, I'm going to give it a few days to rest and I'll let you know how it tastes!

Javaslinger