[Homeroast] "NO" to kopi

Brad Byford bbyford at charter.net
Sun Aug 7 22:40:03 CDT 2011

If you buy the coffee, you're funding the Kopi market, so what I'm saying
is: From what I've read so far, I wouldn't buy this coffee because of how
its popularity has led to the mistreatment of the Civet. The post I was
referring to was the one about "saying no to kopi" by Ed. He said " Even if
we inform about the caging, poor quality and scams of kopi with no kopi I
wonder if we are still perpetuating the curiosity." I should clear things up
by saying: I want to see every post, because to me, all the opinions are
valuable. I don't want the thread locked in other words. I'm not an animal
rights advocate, because I believe in a hierarchy of nature. Animals eat
vegetation, I eat animals. But force-feeding a Civet in a small cage without
killing it to harvest its meat (and/or other parts) is inhumane. It lives
there suffering. I don't like that. So I don't support it. I don't have a
problem with harvesting livestock as long as the death is quick and
painless, and their parts are not wasted. That's not to say I have a problem
with the choices of my vegan friends either. I just want some of my protein
to come from meat. I think it's healthier to not rule it out completely. But
I'm now going off topic if I haven't already.

Brad