[Homeroast] Vacuum Pot Help!!

phil.palmintere at gmail.com phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 16:07:33 CDT 2011

What's your altitude?
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dennis Guyer" <adg22 at sbcglobal.net>
Sender: homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 13:58:29
To: SweetMarias<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
Subject: [Homeroast] Vacuum Pot Help!!

I have been home roasting for two and a half years.  I have used the AP exclusively for most of that time.  Recently I decided to try a Vacuum Pot after reading all the good feedback from the board.  I ordered a Yama 8 cup from SM and use the cloth filter.  I have tried it about 8-10 times.  I have been very disappointed in the results.  It seems to give me a flavor I don't seem to have using the AP.  The best I can describe it is sour.  I roast using the Behmor and grind using a Baratza Virtuoso.  I use a grind setting of 30.  (For those of you who have one.)  All the coffee is roasted to City+; (at least that is what I believe it is.)  All are either South or Central American coffees.  My draw down times are in the 1 1/2  to 2 min. range. I put the top on just as it starts to boil and the water rises within a few seconds.  I stir one time after the water has risen to the top and let it brew for 30 sec to one min.

I need help-advice!  I would really like to use the Vacuum pot on those days I want to serve more than the one cup at a time my AP makes.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dennis