[Homeroast] Anybody roasting coffee?

Peter Louton peter at midwestbicycleworks.com
Sat Apr 30 15:46:17 CDT 2011

Well as I reported a little over a week ago, I did my first blend from the Homeroast Competition.  The first roast just barely hit second crack and the second batch went into second crack for 15 or so seconds both the same annonymous blend of beans.  Had my neighbor come over to taste with me using the Giotto and a bottomless portafilter.  The shots took 35-55 seconds with the lighter roast.  Was good, but lacked something.  My burnt palate tried to distinguish things, but did feel a sense of fruityness was there.  The darker roast was next.  It took 45-75 seconds to pull.  Wow, what a difference, it had a great mouthfeel and could taste some caramel and chocolate undertones and then I thought I tasted some sort of berry (blackberry or such).  Both of us agreed the second batch was much better, really hammered home the difference a roast can make :-)

Well, that was in my cup this week....next week I'll be in San Anselmo, CA visiting ex wife and son.  Will have lots of time to waste during the school day and will get to enjoy crappy coffee oh well it's only 5 days....

Peter

-- Sent from my Palm Pre