[Homeroast] Anybody roasting coffee?

sci scizen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 15:37:16 CDT 2011

Yea, I've noticed the quietness of the list lately.
My hunch is that there's a confluence of factors, but the bottom line is
that everybody is squeezed on all sides. I know I work much more than ever,
but earn no more than I did in 2006. I barely have time to roast, much less
pay meticulous attention to fine details.

 I dug some Bonko "Black Sun" DP out of the cryofreeze chamber.  My Quest M3
never disappoints. After 2.5 years, Bonko is still the "devil in a blue
dress" at C+. It may have lost a point or two. But a truly memorable 94 that
is now a 92 after 2.5 years, is better than a fresh 90 that is not a
memorable cup. Just sayin.

I do have one new brewing tip/trick. I've been using this lately for single
cup pour over brews: cut a large Chemex filter sheet into four quarters.
Fold like the big sheet was folded. Use the tiny filter for a single cup
pour over in a filter cone. It forces you to use maximal control in the pour
routine. The cup quality is excellent due to the premium quality of the
filter. My standard ratio is 15g/10oz. Also, you frugally get 400 filters
out of a box instead of 100.

Ivan