[Homeroast] Cory gasket problem (and how I fixed it)
brookswv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:30:51 CDT 2011
Thanks as well Ivan. I was contemplating a Yama to replace my Cory
DRU/L. But I hate to part with the beast.
brookswv at gmail.com
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Jeff Bensen <jbensen-0007 at xemaps.com> wrote:
> Sci -
> Thank you for the excellent feedback.
> I have an old Cory DRU/DRL and recently placed an order for the same gasket
> from dayseal. I'm assuming I'll have a similar issue, but I'll let you know
> when it gets here.
> -- JB
> Drinking Peru FTO APAVAM Coop Typica, C+, 10 days post-roast, via
> At 12:03 AM 4/25/2011, sci wrote:
>> Ok, I got the new "Cory D" gasket which fits my Cory DXU/DXL model with
>> glass rod. http://www.dayseal.com/services.html These don't look like
>> factory made seals, but where else are you gonna find a Cory seal? I
>> the old rock-hard gasket off and put on the new silicon gasket. It didn't
>> look exactly the same, but it fit, roughly, kinda.
>> So, we're off to the races to make a pot of Ethiopian Genema Harar. I put
>> 48 oz of water (up to the fill line) and ground 72g of coffee. When the
>> water reached boiling, I backed off the heat, and put the upper chamber
>> Here's where the problems started. The seal would go into the lower pot,
>> not all the way; I already knew this from a dry fitting. When pressure
>> built, the seal squeezed out, allowing the steam to blow out the side of
>> gasket. Ugghhh!!! The water went up as long as I added pressure to the
>> chamber to keep the seal; remove my hand pressure, and the water went back
>> down. Not good. Not at ALL!
>> I emailed the fellow that makes them. He did respond, but with advice that
>> didn't really help (put vegetable oil on it, which IMHO made the problem
>> worse). He did offer to refund my $25 for the seal. But I'm in this game
>> results, not trips to the post office.
>> Upon very close inspection, I noticed that the third ring up from the
>> of the seal was too thick. It was preventing the upper chamber from fully
>> seating into the lower. Hence the pressure squeezed it back out. No amount
>> of reasonable down pressure would compress the silicon to make it fit. It
>> was just too big. Somewhat determined to make it work, I got out a razor
>> knife and tediously cut that entire ring down to the base level of the
>> rubber. Now the offending ring was gone. WaahhLaah! The upper chamber will
>> seat, and hold pressure. It works. I'm happy now. But for $25 for a chunk
>> rubber, you don't expect to have to make irreversible modifications.
>> Upshot: unless you just want an old Cory, why bother. Just get a Yama or a
>> Bodum Santos. I have about $45 and a couple of hours of tinker time
>> in the Cory, and sure, it has the glass rod. And I'm happy. But if I knew
>> then what I know now, I'd just jump on SM.com and get a new Yama or find a
>> Bodum Santos (non-electric). If your rich, get the Cona and don't look
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
More information about the Homeroast