[Homeroast] Cory gasket problem (and how I fixed it)

Jeff Bensen jbensen-0007 at xemaps.com
Mon Apr 25 05:05:50 CDT 2011


Sci -

Thank you for the excellent feedback.

I have an old Cory DRU/DRL and recently placed an order for the same 
gasket from dayseal. I'm assuming I'll have a similar issue, but I'll 
let you know when it gets here.

-- JB
    Drinking Peru FTO APAVAM Coop Typica, C+, 10 days post-roast, via Aeropress



At 12:03 AM 4/25/2011, sci wrote:

>Ok, I got the new "Cory D" gasket which fits my Cory DXU/DXL model with the
>glass rod. http://www.dayseal.com/services.html These don't look like
>factory made seals, but where else are you gonna find a Cory seal? I yanked
>the old rock-hard gasket off and put on the new silicon gasket. It didn't
>look exactly the same, but it fit, roughly, kinda.
>
>So, we're off to the races to make a pot of Ethiopian Genema Harar. I put in
>48 oz of water (up to the fill line) and ground 72g of coffee. When the
>water reached boiling, I backed off the heat, and put the upper chamber on.
>Here's where the problems started. The seal would go into the lower pot, but
>not all the way; I already knew this from a dry fitting. When pressure
>built, the seal squeezed out, allowing the steam to blow out the side of the
>gasket. Ugghhh!!! The water went up as long as I added pressure to the upper
>chamber to keep the seal; remove my hand pressure, and the water went back
>down. Not good. Not at ALL!
>
>I emailed the fellow that makes them. He did respond, but with advice that
>didn't really help (put vegetable oil on it, which IMHO made the problem
>worse). He did offer to refund my $25 for the seal. But I'm in this game for
>results, not trips to the post office.
>
>Upon very close inspection, I noticed that the third ring up from the bottom
>of the seal was too thick. It was preventing the upper chamber from fully
>seating into the lower. Hence the pressure squeezed it back out. No amount
>of reasonable down pressure would compress the silicon to make it fit. It
>was just too big. Somewhat determined to make it work, I got out a razor
>knife and tediously cut that entire ring down to the base level of the
>rubber. Now the offending ring was gone. WaahhLaah! The upper chamber will
>seat, and hold pressure. It works. I'm happy now. But for $25 for a chunk of
>rubber, you don't expect to have to make irreversible modifications.
>
>Upshot: unless you just want an old Cory, why bother. Just get a Yama or a
>Bodum Santos. I have about $45 and a couple of hours of tinker time invested
>in the Cory, and sure, it has the glass rod. And I'm happy. But if I knew
>then what I know now, I'd just jump on SM.com and get a new Yama or find a
>Bodum Santos (non-electric). If your rich, get the Cona and don't look back.
>
>FWIW,
>
>Ivan




More information about the Homeroast mailing list