[Homeroast] Cory gasket problem (and how I fixed it)

sci scizen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 23:03:40 CDT 2011


Ok, I got the new "Cory D" gasket which fits my Cory DXU/DXL model with the
glass rod. http://www.dayseal.com/services.html These don't look like
factory made seals, but where else are you gonna find a Cory seal? I yanked
the old rock-hard gasket off and put on the new silicon gasket. It didn't
look exactly the same, but it fit, roughly, kinda.

So, we're off to the races to make a pot of Ethiopian Genema Harar. I put in
48 oz of water (up to the fill line) and ground 72g of coffee. When the
water reached boiling, I backed off the heat, and put the upper chamber on.
Here's where the problems started. The seal would go into the lower pot, but
not all the way; I already knew this from a dry fitting. When pressure
built, the seal squeezed out, allowing the steam to blow out the side of the
gasket. Ugghhh!!! The water went up as long as I added pressure to the upper
chamber to keep the seal; remove my hand pressure, and the water went back
down. Not good. Not at ALL!

I emailed the fellow that makes them. He did respond, but with advice that
didn't really help (put vegetable oil on it, which IMHO made the problem
worse). He did offer to refund my $25 for the seal. But I'm in this game for
results, not trips to the post office.

Upon very close inspection, I noticed that the third ring up from the bottom
of the seal was too thick. It was preventing the upper chamber from fully
seating into the lower. Hence the pressure squeezed it back out. No amount
of reasonable down pressure would compress the silicon to make it fit. It
was just too big. Somewhat determined to make it work, I got out a razor
knife and tediously cut that entire ring down to the base level of the
rubber. Now the offending ring was gone. WaahhLaah! The upper chamber will
seat, and hold pressure. It works. I'm happy now. But for $25 for a chunk of
rubber, you don't expect to have to make irreversible modifications.

Upshot: unless you just want an old Cory, why bother. Just get a Yama or a
Bodum Santos. I have about $45 and a couple of hours of tinker time invested
in the Cory, and sure, it has the glass rod. And I'm happy. But if I knew
then what I know now, I'd just jump on SM.com and get a new Yama or find a
Bodum Santos (non-electric). If your rich, get the Cona and don't look back.

FWIW,

Ivan

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 1:15 PM, sci <scizen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I ordered a Cory D gasket. It is supposed to be silicon, which means it
> will last indefinitely. It isn't here yet, expecting any day, but if you
> want to wait I will let you know how it fits and works. It is a shame to me
> to have to throw away a perfectly good Cory pot, with glass rod and all,
> just because of an old hardened gasket. Kudos to the folks who decided to
> make these modern updated replacements.
>
> Ivan
>
> "Pay your taxes! 15M illegal aliens are counting on it."
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 08:13:55 -0400
> From: Jason Brooks <brookswv at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>        list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>        <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] cory gasket problem
> Message-ID: <BANLkTimY=qwPjRjZgGTnekJcsd5Ve_Xkpw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> This will probably tip me from replacing the Cory with a Yama to
> replacing the gasket.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> Jason Brooks
> brookswv at gmail.com
> http://javajeb.wordpress.com
>


More information about the Homeroast mailing list