[Homeroast] test ... Imean coffee

Andy Thomas adt0611 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 00:56:35 CDT 2011

My roasting rig is a split-wired West Bend (original) Poppery. Split-wired
means, in this case, that the fan is always on and I control the heater with the
switch. I use a type K thermocouple probe placed in the center of the roast
chamber, just under the surface if the green beans before turning on the
roaster. I use my mobile phone as a timer, which was the cause of the short
roast. I got a call on my "timer" and let things get out of control.  According
to my notes the profile was as follows:

140g Brasil DP Bahia Chapada Diamantina, ambient temp, 55F
300F @ 4:00
1st crack, 405F @ 8:31

This is where things got out of hand. When I turned attention back to the
coffee, the temp was about 450F and I ended it there. It was about 12 minutes
but I was too flustered to note exact time and temp. I had intended to get to
EOR/450F at about 14:00. In the 2 previous roasts of this coffee, EOR was 445F @
14:20 and 452F @ 15:30.All 3 roast profiles were the same up to beginning of 1C.
I roasted Diamantina again today and duplicated the 12 minute roast. In a few
days I will know whether I also duplicated the wonderful brown sugar and berry
flavors!

Andy