[Homeroast] New I-Roast2

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sat Apr 16 22:11:39 CDT 2011

On Apr 16, 2011, at 1:24 AM, <msmb at suddenlink.net> <msmb at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> The pre set profiles strike me as odd because compared to what I used to use, they start at a relatively high temperature and at certain points they lower the temperature from a previous level. I thought that to avoid baking the beans you always wanted to have an ascending temperature level through the roast.  Is this correct?

Yes, this is correct, however that's the bean temperature, not the controller setting.
The temperature setting on the iRoast is anything but accurate, and has little bearing on the actual bean temperature.

The profiles that use high/low settings are really changing the amount of heat applied, not actual meaningful setpoints.

The iRoast, for its batch size, is a great platform for roasting, but the controller stinks. I replaced the controller in mine with an industrial PID controller, and couldn't be happier with the results.

At the least, put a thermocouple in the bean mass and monitor what is actually going on for a given profile.
-
allon