[Homeroast] Yama pot advice

Seth Grandeau grandeau at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:18:51 CDT 2011

I use the Yama 8-cup with a Cory rod purchased off of ebay for just a few
$.  I heat the water in the bottom bulb until it boils (top bulb is in the
stand), then I dial it back down to simmer.  I put the coffee in the top
bulb, and when the bottom bulb is down to a bare simmer, I put the top bulb
onto the bottom and start my timer.  Water starts to flow up immediately.  I
use the stirrer to make sure all the grounds get wet, but no further
stirring.  I let it go 2:30 from when I attach the upper bulb.  When the
timer sounds, I move it to a cold part of the stove and let it draw down.
Normally, it's 70-90 seconds.

If you use the Cory rod, keep the stirring to a minimum.  I used to try to
stir it to get the mound, but it just draws the coffee grounds down to plug
up the rod and stalls the brew, ruining the pot of coffee.

Have fun.  Play around with the grind and the brew times.  I usually go
slightly coarser than I would for drip coffee, but not all the way to french
press.  Coarser grind will give you faster draw down times, but slower
extraction.