[Homeroast] Jimma > PID iRoast

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 23:14:39 CDT 2010

When brewing french press, the only suggestion I have is to get the temperature way up and do your best to keep it there.  Typically you lose about .1F per second in a French press, but that depends on the material of the press.  For what it's worth, I don't think French press is the ideal method for this coffee at all.  I much prefer it in a dripper.

This coffee, in all brew testing we have done, seems to do best at around 201F.

For a 12oz (341g) pour over (Beehouse as well) my method is currently:
22 grams coffee ground... uh... very fine filter drip.  Numbers on a grind dial do nothing for me on this one.  We grind ours on 6.75 on our Ditting if that means anything to you, lol.

I wet the grounds with 65 grams of water and allow to bloom for 18-25 seconds depending on when I think the bloom has stopped rising.

At that point I pour the remaining water working in a clockwise pattern outward.  For the next 45 seconds (so a timer would be showing 1:15 at the end) I try to work outward fast enough to re-saturate all of the grounds "riding the bloom" the whole way through.  I then work my way back into the middle and throttle my pouring speed so that I arrive at 365g of water (remainder is absorbed in the grounds) at the 2:45 mark.  At 3:15 you should be completely done dripping.

All that said, admittedly I've been focusing more on single-origin espresso for this one than as manual brewed.

miKe would have more on the roasting than I would, this one is his baby as far as roasting goes, just my baby as far as brew parameters go.  To the best of my knowledge it's 4:30 from start of first to end of roast, finishing temperature in the neighborhood of 432 degrees.

I've done a lot of roasting on a Behmor (about 1000 pounds worth over 1200 roasts).  You are definitely going to want to get a thermometer in there somehow.  I simply put mine in through the door (i.e.- stick it in, on top of the drum, and close the door so it's held in place).

However you want to do it, the best way to work with this one on a Behmor is going to be to push it as hard as you can up until about 10 seconds of first (not including outliers... call it committed first, but not quite rolling, lol) and then ease off and let it coast (without decreasing in temp at any point) until about 4 minutes past first, without any second.  No where near second, really.

Hard to first, easy does it in first, then kill it.

-bry

Bryan Wray

Compass Coffee

360.831.1480

Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens