[Homeroast] Jimma > PID iRoast

ricky carter rickylc99 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 21:02:35 CDT 2010

I brew Press pot (52 gr/950ml - grind setting of 32 on baratza maestro)
CCD (20 gr/ 350ml -grind setting of 14 - 3 minute steep)
Bee house - (free form, but shoot for 18gr/300 ml with a two minute pour -
grind setting 12)

My roasts are of two categories

1. runs 3-4 minutes after start of 1st utilizing P2 1#  with the power cut
approx 1 minute into 1st

2 approx 2 minutes after start of 1st utilzing either P1 (250 - 275 gr load)
or P3(1/2 # , 200 gr load)

the short times in method 2 are to try to keep it from rolling right into
second. I can stretch even longer with P2, but it's so freaking hit or miss
with the timing of the power cut.

I got the most fruit and even a bit of blueberry on the shortest roast, I
killed the roast after 45 seconds of 1st, however 1st rolled on for over a
minute after hitting cool!  I saw some comments that this bean starts 1st
crack at about 10 degrees hotter than other beans, so I was shooting for a
normal temp to end the roast on, though it's all guesswork with the Behmor
in regards to temp.

Thanks for an suggestions you may have!