[Homeroast] home decafeination

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Wed Sep 29 19:54:21 CDT 2010

I really don't. Most decaf plants are in Germany or Mexico, Swiss
Water in Vancouver ... We were going to have a coffee done in
Colombia. I am not sure how much it would help because they don't
have some sort of "sample decaf" unit to test out a coffee at those
plants. The only possibilities are going to be a filtration method,
or maybe, just maybe, Ethyl Acetate. The others are not methods you
can use. Maybe C0-2 can be done with a can of Schwepps? I doubt it...

Tom

>Tom
>Anyone you know in the coffee biz that might be able to help work out
>a process with us? Or maybe try tweeting the question and someone
>might know someone. I'm game to give it try with some suggestions. I
>have a family decaf drinker.
>
>On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee
><sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com> wrote:
>>  It's actually a really interesting idea. I wonder if there is a way to
>>  reduce caffeine in coffee. The neat thing about doing it at home, then home
>>  roasting is that there might be some factor that is impractical in the
>>  commercial process that could be workable at home. For example, maybe if you
>>  used a steaming or water soak, filtration (that's the catch- filtration that
>>  would remove caffeine), then allowed the coffee to re-absorb the flavor,
>>  then without re-drying you could roast it right away. Follow me? I wonder if
>>  filtration used for camping, for amoeba and giardia, would have any effect
>>  on caffeine content.
>>
>>  One thing talked about was the decaf stir stick. It is a physical bonding to
>>  caffeine that you could simply use in any brewed coffee and reduce caffeine.
>>  That would be better than any pre-roast decaf method.
>>  --
>>  -Tom
>>
>>  ____________________________________________________________________________
>>  "Great coffee comes from little roasters" - Sweet Maria's Home Coffee
>>  Roasting
>>               Thompson & Maria - http://www.sweetmarias.com
>>  Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>  http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>

>--
>Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
>Amherst MA.