[Homeroast] home decafeination

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 19:07:01 CDT 2010

Tom
Anyone you know in the coffee biz that might be able to help work out
a process with us? Or maybe try tweeting the question and someone
might know someone. I'm game to give it try with some suggestions. I
have a family decaf drinker.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee
<sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com> wrote:
> It's actually a really interesting idea. I wonder if there is a way to
> reduce caffeine in coffee. The neat thing about doing it at home, then home
> roasting is that there might be some factor that is impractical in the
> commercial process that could be workable at home. For example, maybe if you
> used a steaming or water soak, filtration (that's the catch- filtration that
> would remove caffeine), then allowed the coffee to re-absorb the flavor,
> then without re-drying you could roast it right away. Follow me? I wonder if
> filtration used for camping, for amoeba and giardia, would have any effect
> on caffeine content.
>
> One thing talked about was the decaf stir stick. It is a physical bonding to
> caffeine that you could simply use in any brewed coffee and reduce caffeine.
> That would be better than any pre-roast decaf method.
> --
> -Tom

> Roasting
>              Thompson & Maria - http://www.sweetmarias.com