[Homeroast] home decafeination

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Wed Sep 29 18:42:21 CDT 2010

It's actually a really interesting idea. I wonder if there is a way
to reduce caffeine in coffee. The neat thing about doing it at home,
then home roasting is that there might be some factor that is
impractical in the commercial process that could be workable at home.
For example, maybe if you used a steaming or water soak, filtration
(that's the catch- filtration that would remove caffeine), then
allowed the coffee to re-absorb the flavor, then without re-drying
you could roast it right away. Follow me? I wonder if filtration used
for camping, for amoeba and giardia, would have any effect on
caffeine content.

One thing talked about was the decaf stir stick. It is a physical
bonding to caffeine that you could simply use in any brewed coffee
and reduce caffeine. That would be better than any pre-roast decaf
method.
--
-Tom