[Homeroast] List Traffic at Zero

mary deem catechumenes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 19:50:02 CDT 2010

Terry -

My husband said the hardest modification he did was installing the
thermometer through the side of the popper!  Separating the fan and heater
switches as well as changing the thermostat were a breeze compared to trying
to drill a hole through the side of the popper's plastic casing.   Hopefully
that should be encouragement enough.

Here is a link that my husband used as a guide for separating the heat and
fan switch and the thermostat adjustment.  It is an excellent post on the
Homeroasters forum. It has almost every mod possible so you will have to
scroll down to find the mods you want.  Heat and fan separation and
thermostat adjustment or disabling are located about midway down the page,
from section *P1 2-10 *to the end.

http://www.homeroasters.org/php/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=270

There are many other interesting mods on this post in case you get
inspired.

Note that there are not instructions for doing a side installation of the
thermometer (as opposed to the traditional 'through the top' method as
described on SW's air popper page).  I am guessing that you would want to
stick with the traditional method since it is far easier...drilling the side
of the case was difficult in trying to avoid the part where metal chamber
begins while keeping the thermometer angle correct.

According to my husband, there is nothing that you can really mess up in
these two basic mods (heat/fan and thermostat mods)...but then he is very
technically proficient.  You might want to get a back up, if only to give
you the confidence to crack the case open and start making those mods!

Making those mods will give you so much more contorl over your roasts.  You
will be able to slow or speed up your heating ramps....extend the period
before first crack..and many other goodies.  It will literally make you more
creative in your roasting.

If you run into any problems let me know.  I can get my husband to give you
needed advice...but he swears that the mods should be very easy to do.

Good luck!

Mary