[Homeroast] PID iRoast

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Tue Sep 28 14:20:24 CDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee wrote:
>  I wish they had continued to develop the iRoast along these lines because I think the basic roast chamber design is ideal.

Actually, I think there is a major deficiency in the roast chamber design.
The #1 problem is that the heat output is measured *before* the chamber. If the iRoast had a probe that stuck up out of the middle of the base, which impaled the roast chamber when seated, it could measure the temperature of the bean mass, not the air temp going into the bean mass. That one design flaw, I think, lead to a "profile roaster" that gave you no real profile control at all. You could profile the heat going out, but not the bean temp.

And even that is being generous, considering how inaccurate the temp readings are on the stock iRoast.

-
allon