[Homeroast] PID iRoast

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Tue Sep 28 12:41:37 CDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee wrote:

> Wow - amazing set up. I wish they had continued to develop the iRoast along these lines because I think the basic roast chamber design is ideal. Greater control, separate fan speed and heat control in manual modes ... that's the ticket. Of course, I don't think your rig will pass UL !

What tipped you off, the exposed 120V wiring?

(note, I have a fire extinguisher near the roaster, out of frame)

Now all I have to do is learn how to compose profiles for different characteristics in different beans. Lots of knowledge to amass.
The fun thing is that I'm going to end up with a box that contains a PID, SSR, dimmer, outlets labeled for HEAT and FAN, and a plug for thermocouple - basic roaster control-in-a-box.

I may expand this to include an arduino with separate thermocouple input (or if I can copy the output from the PID, do that) for data logging; the arduino can take inputs from the PID which puts out a 1 second pulse when hitting program stages, or at program end. Then I can trigger actions, such as dumping beans, or whatnot, depending on what I come up with.

You know, speaking of non-UL listed, this PID would be a lot of fun with the Quest M3.....

-
allon