[Homeroast] El Salvador Manzano Process Experiment

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Mon Sep 27 18:56:47 CDT 2010

I think you are right - process favors trump varietal flavor and
other qualities in coffee because of origin. I think Manzano shows
that it's more than just an overlay of process flavor on top of other
qualities. For example, the acidity in the Pulped Natural and the
Natural is definitely muted ... so process is affecting acidity or at
least the way it is perceived.

I would definitely try to roast them all the same, and think the IR2
with some cooling time in between is best. But check out the video
about appearance of the roasted coffee too - the chaff color really
affects how you perceived the darkness. I am going to paste this over
to the forum thread on Manzano so we can track the feedback once
people have roasted and tasted it...

Tom

>I just ordered the El Salvador Manzano Process Experiment and eagerly await
>completing the experiment in my cup.
>I know that processing is supposed to be the second most important factor
>influencing flavor (over origin) but I'm already leaning toward it being
>just as important as origin. The only other coffee I remember getting two
>processes from the same lot was the Koratie DP/WP and the difference was
>huge.
>Now I'm just trying to figure out how to roast this in such a way as to not
>introduce another variable. I'm thinking of using my IR2 to roast three
>1/4lb batches to precisely the same roast level (probably C+) and then doing
>1/2lb batches in the B1600 the same way. Problem is that neither of those
>roasters are good for back to back batches. I might just have to break the
>rules on this one.
>Any thoughts or ideas?
>
>Ivan

-Tom