[Homeroast] List Traffic at Zero and Roast Time Length

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 03:21:32 CDT 2010

"I did pick out the hottest outlet to roast (highest voltage, least voltage
drop) for best performance by using the washer dryer outlet that's on it's
own circuit on a short run
from the breaker box, I think that helps.

I use a Kill-A-Watt to watch the voltage and once decided it was a no-go for
roasting because I was smoking meat with the electric meat smoker in the
back yard during a hot summer day and the Behmor on the pre-heat pulled the
voltage down to 112 or 114 V which I knew was a no-go."

EE-GAD! After those two sentences, I think it's going to precipitate
something that will require a snow shovel in the morning. When some sentence
understanding or meaning eludes me, I diagram it (Subject-predicate-object).
Such a simple thing to do, but I failed.

You should know that the 112 - 114v you measure represents a drop from the
actual pole or neighborhood transformer secondary voltage. The power is
usually dissipated in the steel cable used for the neutral line in the
overhead wires to your home.

If you measure the "220v" at the electric range or dryer receptacle, it
won't vary by more than maybe 0.1 or 0.2 volts if you turn on every heating
device in the appliance. 220v is all on copper wires, from the transformer
secondary to the electric range or water heater.

Electric toasters and other "110v" appliances use one copper wire and one
steel neutral cable to supply power to your home. Newer homes with buried
utilities use all copper supply wires. 112 - 114v is not very close to the
actual transformer voltage- 120v - 125v is more like it, with 240v - 250v on
your electric range or dryer.

At 453.5924 grams per pound, you roast about 91g batch sizes with
non-standard supply voltage. What other specification is violated, and you
don't like WHAT about it?

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!
--
Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...