[Homeroast] List Traffic at Zero and Roast Time Length

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 19:41:29 CDT 2010

I've been pushing close to a full pound lately on my Behmor and liking the
results.  I used to target between 10 - 13 oz but was always short on coffee
during the week so I push close to a full pound when I'm roasting light shy
of Full City+ which since I roast to City and City+ for most roasts is fine
with me.

I've also been opening the door during first crack to slow the roll.  I do a
P3 typically to first and open the door to control the temp (watch the temp
on a thermocouple in the back of the Behmor.  I start with a pre-heat by
running the Behmor for a minute with the (old style) chaff try in, then
hitting stop and putting in the loaded drum with my Ove Glove protected
hands and programming my P3 profile and hitting start.  This gives me a
drop-in temp of 200 degrees and also helps to make my summer/winter roast
profiles more closely correlated since they start at about the same temp
instead of 20 - 30 degrees apart.  When the Behmor has been in the cool
cycle for about two minutes, I'll hit stop and pull the drum and dump the
beans in my external bean cooler and restart the cooling cycle on the Behmor
to cool the beans down within about four minutes.  I find that the Behmor
does a great job bringing the beans down to about 200 degrees F, but after
that the cooling slows and the oven will retain heat so it really slows when
trying for room temp beans.

This is giving times in the 14 - 18 minute range to first crack which many
will consider too long, but I've been liking what I'm getting in the cup and
liking the increased batch size.  Note that I did pick out the hottest
outlet to roast (highest voltage, least voltage drop) for best performance
by using the washer dryer outlet that's on it's own circuit on a short run
from the breaker box, I think that helps.  I use a Kill-A-Watt to watch the
voltage and once decided it was a no-go for roasting because I was smoking
meat with the electric meat smoker in the back yard during a hot summer day
and the Behmor on the pre-heat pulled the voltage down to 112 or 114 V which
I knew was a no-go.

Good luck!

-Chris