[Homeroast] bring back green beans

Starfinder Stanley coffee at starf.org
Sat Sep 18 09:34:26 CDT 2010

My brother in law is an Australian Quarantine Officer (that's what they call
their ag inspectors, the equivalent of APHIS here).  Their purpose, and the
purpose of APHIS in the US, is to safeguard their regions against exotic
pests of any and all kinds ---bugs, plants, animals, fungi, bacterial,
viral, etc.  As long as you don't try to sneak stuff past them, they will
treat you with respect, and will simply tell you what items you can and
can't bring in.  If you have the misfortune to clear customs in a
lower-volume region used for training (like Cairns), you will be subjected
to a much more thorough inspection.  It is always best to clear customs in
Sydney, which has such a high volume of passengers that they aren't going to
spend more time messing with you than is strictly necessary to get the job
done.  Often, Ag is much quicker than customs.  I learned about the green
coffee import license when I brought 25 pounds of green down for my father,
and wasn't allowed to bring it in ---but they were very nice about it, and
held the coffee for me while I decided whether I wanted to pay to get the
license.  When I didn't, they were willing to let me take the coffee back
with me to the states, as long as I was on a direct flight out of the
country.

TSA, on the other hand, I must agree, is an utter sham, a window dressing of
security that seems designed mostly to inconvenience the traveling public
enough to give them the false sense that they must be safe.  All I can say
is that it is a good thing that most terrorist-minded people are none too
bright, because I can think of a good dozen ways to sneak lethal weaponry
past the checkpoints.  The liquids ban is truly silly.  Last year they
protected the world from the imminent threat of my quart of fine sheep's
milk yogurt.  And I dread the day they try to make me stand in a backscatter
radiation machine (those hold your hands out and stand still for 7 seconds
cubicles).... my "hell no" is going to make that trip a real headache.