[Homeroast] Got my HotTop roaster this week.

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 10:51:44 CDT 2010

Bob,

You will enjoy your HotTop.  Best thing to do is run at least one roast all
the way through 2nd crack so you know how it behaves, and know what to
expect.

I have the digital "B" model.  Currently, I've been dropping my heat to
about 80% as the beans start to brown,  then down to 40% at the point where
I anticipate first crack will start soon. Basically, what I've gleaned from
this list is that you want at least 3 minutes from start of 1st to the end
of roast, so experiment in when you need to drop your heat to obtain that
profile.  For espresso I've been targeting 4-5 minutes from start of 1st to
end,  usually stopping just before 2nd crack or a few snaps in.  I know that
I still can do some more work on my roasting profile, but I've been having
good results.

Also keep in mind that a fair amount of the advice on the internet regarding
HotTops is about the older models non-digital models, that I understand
needed some trickery to achieve darker roasts,  which may not be the best
advice for the current models.

In the end experimentation is key to getting the best out of it.

--mike