[Homeroast] Problem: My family wants my roasted coffee

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 20:31:21 CDT 2010

Bingo! "A properly used whirly chop and good fresh roast coffee can produce
a cup far superior in taste to whirly chop and stale bin coffees, especially
auto-drip which is the norm for many. As or more critical for many could be
their auto-drip brewing way too low a temp." [And too short brew time]

Jackpot, miKe. I had long- 28 years- been using a whirly blade Grind Master
grinder and a lot of speed modulation ('Pulse' the *GO!* button) to achieve
the grind texture I wanted. The Bunn Office drip brewer was set to 195° F,
but brewed the 10-cup carafe way too fast.

195° F is borderline boil-over for most of the ski cities in the country.
The Bunn had a nice shower head to distribute the hot water over the
grounds, but went a little fast

   - from turn-on with a cold boiler tank; <READY> ; pour in cold water to
   bottom fill boiler, hot brew water metered from hot top of boiler through
   shower head to full pot of coffee was Six Minutes flat. Boyer had set the
   195° F boiler temperature when I bought it.
   - From the start of the shower to the first drip of coffee out of the
   basket, I measured 17 seconds. Bill Boyer sold me the grinder, Bunn Office
   brewer, roasted beans, a Melitta Aroma Roast and Kenya AA green beans at the
   $$ roasted price.
   - Great coffee- obviously, the grounds stayed wet longer than the
   17-second transition time of the first drop of water, so what were the
   timing marks?

The absolute timing and temperature fix was the *$ 12-cup press pot. The hot
brewing water could be maintained at temperature with a quick trip through
the microwave while I watch through the window. Wurkt good, and I was off to
the races...

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!
--
Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...