[Homeroast] Problem: My family wants my roasted coffee

Greg's Gmail Address olawai at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 17:40:40 CDT 2010

I also ran into this conundrum (and I also lurk on here!) a couple of years
ago when I started.  I upgraded to a BBQ roaster last Christmas to get me
through gift season and have continued to roast about 2-3 pounds every other
week.  This setup was cheap (about $400, including BBQ) and can easily
handle 3 lbs per batch.  I have not tried to roast more but the drum web
site said it can handle 5 lbs.  I figure cooling is going to be the limiting
process in my setup.  One 3 lb batch roasted to FC+ took me about 20 minutes
the other day.  I stop based purely on audible cues so I don't watch a
clock, etc.  I cool with a wet vac and a steel colander - done in a few
minutes and only melted a few hoses.  Since it doesn't really need much
cooling time I figure this setup could easily roast 6 lbs in one hour.  My
grill is dedicated to coffee and the propane tank lasts forever, it seems.

I WOULD do this but my neighbors complained a few months ago about the
"horrible smell" and now I have to be more strategic about my roasting...

Anyway, I recommend the BBQ Drum setup as your next move if you want to add
volume without a commercial upgrade.  It was fun and cheap setting it up and
I really enjoy using it (like BBQing, but better smells).

And over time you can introduce people to the real crack, I mean, joy of
home roasting - picking out your own greens and roasting your own and, of
course, drinking in the rewards.

Sweet Maria's Crack dealers unite.