[Homeroast] Problem: My family wants my roasted coffee

Dan Kellgren dkellgren at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 09:21:20 CDT 2010

Have the same "problem" and am also using a Behmor.  Just had this
conversation with my wife this weekend.  She suggested we sell some to raise
money for an American Diabetes Association walk we're doing.  So we sat down
to do the math.  If I roast up 20lbs. of beans and sell it (with all
proceeds going to the ADA), it would take me 17 hours of roasting, spread
out over several weeks, since the unit isn't designed to continually roast
one after another.

My math on this is that I can roast a pound in about 35 minutes (including
cooling).  Plus add 5 minutes to prep and 5 minutes to clean after.  So
that's about 45 minutes a pound.  Plus I have to run a clean after every 5
roasts (adding another hour or so total).

And then I have to grind it, package it, label it... a single Behmor and
Maestro Plus really are not enough to do it.

I thought of purchasing a second and third unit so I can run multiples at
one time.  But at some point, I think it makes more sense to purchase
equipment meant for this volume level.

OK, so I adding nothing to help you, other than to say, I feel your pain!

Dan