[Homeroast] Problem: My family wants my roasted coffee

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 12:18:26 CDT 2010

1) If you don't want to start a small roasting business, then don't. For
years I had people express interest in buying coffee and I told them no,
it's a hobby I enjoy and selling coffee would make it work. OTOH if what you
work at is a labor of love and joy is it really work? Last week I roasted
~350lb of coffee, definitely not just for personal consumption!

2) If you do sell some of your roasts, absolutely charge fair retail value,
not your cost. Sure maybe a "family" discount, but not to every friend.
Friends should pay retail just like anybody else.

3) With experience Q-Drum roasting can produce good roasts.

4) Occasionally gift coffee, when you feel like it not when someone just
wants it or you may be taken advantage of on a regular basis. However,
gifting coffee may have the result of them wanting to buy it on a regular
basis!

5) Running a business can have a lot of what may be considered "negative"
aspects. Roasting quantities of coffee isn't one of them, for me anyway.

Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/