[Homeroast] Problem: My family wants my roasted coffee

Steven Van Dyke coffee at svandyke.com
Mon Sep 13 10:36:38 CDT 2010

I haven't had this problem myself but from following this list for
several years I think the best way to deal with it is to get *them*
started roasting.

Do you have an 'old' roaster?  Maybe one you started with before the Behmor?

If not, take a few small batches to get the hang of something cheap
such as stove top roasting with a Whirly Pop.

Then take your fans and start teaching them how to do it.  Gift them
a pound or two of beans, loan them the starter roaster and let them
give it a try.

Odds are good that some of them will wind up placing their own Sweet
Marias order very soon.

Some will decide that they really like *your* coffee but don't want
to put in the work.  For them you'll need to find a reliable source
of good beans - could be you, could be a local roaster, could be
something like Sweet Maria's roasted coffee.

At 09:07 AM 9/13/2010, you wrote:
>Longtime lurker here.
>
>What do you all do when your friends and family taste your roasted
>coffee and want it on a regular basis? I have a Behmor and have
>roasted in the neighborhood of 250-300 lbs in the 2.5 years I've been
>doing this. No problems. I do 4-5 lbs a week now, but I could be
>looking at a demand of 10-15 lbs / week or more if really followed up
>with people who expressed serious interest (e.g. comments like "I
>would pay you for this").
>
>Without a doubt, I don't want to start a business, but what's the next
>step up in capacity with out laying the unjustifiable sums for a USRC
>unit? Grill roasting with a large drum? Will I get the same quality as
>what I get from the Behmor? Tell my friends and family I can't do it?
>Charge more than cost to build funds for a larger roaster? Tell them
>no and to buy from a local professional roaster? I'm sure some of you
>have dealt with this. What worked?

Enjoy!

Steve :->