[Homeroast] Yep, Take apart the GeneCafe screens

Steven Van Dyke coffee at svandyke.com
Mon Sep 13 10:14:43 CDT 2010

So, I've been meaning to clean the chaff collector on my GeneCafe
for... a while (probably not a whole year).  I've been going to boil
it but didn't want to heat up the house.

Then Ken had his thread about his GeneCafe and the revelation that
you *really* need to take the screens apart.

So today, as I was getting ready to roast I decided, what the heck,
and got out the screwdriver.  I filled the sink with hot water and a
good sized slug of Simple Green.

Turns out, Ken (and the others) were right - you *REALLY* do need to
take the screens apart.  My chaff collector *looked* clean(ish) - you
could see some internal gunk but nothing really objectionable and
looking through the screens the light came through just fine.

Took the collector apart, looked at the screens - still didn't look too bad.

Took the screws out that hold the inner screen in place...

*WOW*

A *LOT* of crud can accumulate in there - there were parts where
there was just a little tunnel through the crud from inner screen
hole to outer screen hole.

Didn't seem to affect my roast, but I have to wonder how much longer
I had before *not* cleaning the screens would have.