[Homeroast] Problem: My family wants my roasted coffee

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Mon Sep 13 09:24:46 CDT 2010

If friends and coworkers expressed interest i'd give them a little as a gift.  If they wanted more I had to charge them because they were depleting my stash. And as you know, this is world class coffee so wasn't exactly cheap!  Before long i was roasting more for others than i was for myself.  I have no experience with grill roasting but from what i understand, you won't have as much or any control over the "profiles" and cooling.  You get what you get.  Looking back, it was insane the hours i put into roasting on the behmor on my side porch til EARLY in the morning.It was Christmas two years ago when i stayed up for nearly two days to try and get done all the coffees i had promised for others. These were all coffees ppl wanted to purchase to give as Christmas gifts.  It was that experience that made me think "Maybe there's something in this."Just this past January i bought a USRC to keep up with the demand i already had and start going after wholesale accounts.Sounds like you may have to learn when to say 'no.'There were times when i had to tell these folks I'd get some coffee together for them but it may take 2-3 weeks or more.I loved sharing my coffee with other enthusiasts and watching their reactions but there were times when i had to say "sure, but it'll be a while before i get more and/or can catch up to all the orders ppl have already requested"
Michael B
b'ham, AL