[Homeroast] Problem: My family wants my roasted coffee

Kevin Ford kmford at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 09:07:15 CDT 2010

Longtime lurker here.

What do you all do when your friends and family taste your roasted
coffee and want it on a regular basis? I have a Behmor and have
roasted in the neighborhood of 250-300 lbs in the 2.5 years I've been
doing this. No problems. I do 4-5 lbs a week now, but I could be
looking at a demand of 10-15 lbs / week or more if really followed up
with people who expressed serious interest (e.g. comments like "I
would pay you for this").

Without a doubt, I don't want to start a business, but what's the next
step up in capacity with out laying the unjustifiable sums for a USRC
unit? Grill roasting with a large drum? Will I get the same quality as
what I get from the Behmor? Tell my friends and family I can't do it?
Charge more than cost to build funds for a larger roaster? Tell them
no and to buy from a local professional roaster? I'm sure some of you
have dealt with this. What worked?