[Homeroast] Got my HotTop roaster this week.

Robert Bedwell rlb at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 12 16:10:00 CDT 2010

Thanks for the note Robert.

I have not installed it yet buy have the templates in place.  I need
to upgrade my metal bits and will do that tomorrow.  I am using Randy
Glass's instructions in his "HOW-To Pages" section at www.espressomyespresso.com
.

See number 9 below.   I should have the Omega probe tomorrow.   You
will see on the webpage where it will be installed but basically it is
installed through the bean chute cover.  Hope I don't screw it up.

Bob

How-To Pages
1 - Backflushing - Backflushing is a method to clear inaccessible
areas of the brewing path of coffee debris and oils. Here are step-by
step instructions on how to accomplish this.
2 - Brew-Temperature Control - Small, single boiler machines have poor
control over the brew temperature because of the thermostats that are
used. Here is a work-around that gives better control.
3 - Rocky Doser Modification - The Rocky doser can leave a mess. Here
is a simple modification that helps a lot.
4 - Your First Roast - Thinking about roasting coffee? Here's what to
watch and listen for so that even your first roast can be successful.
Educational, even if you do not intend to roast.
5 - Changing the Portafilter Gasket - A portafilter gasket can be
difficult to remove if left to long before being changed. Here are
some tips to help get it out.
6 - Permanent Filter Replacement for Hottop - I prefer to avoid
disposable items when I can, and so I came up with this method to
create a permanent main filter replacement that fits all the KN-8828
models.
7 - Brew-Temperature Check - Don't know what the temperature is when
making espresso with your machine? here is a simple way to estimate
the brewing temperature.
8 - Descaling Espresso Machine Boilers - If you use tap water,
minerals will build up in your espresso machine. here are the
instructions to descale a single-boiler machine.

9 - Add Bean Temperature Monitoring to the Hottop - Some like to roast
to a specific bean temperature. Here is a relatively easy way to add a
thermocouple probe to the Hottop coffee roasters. Includes link to
printable cutting pattern.On Sep 12, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Robert Yoder