[Homeroast] Grinder for Vac Pot

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 15:15:28 CDT 2010

I can confirm that my upgrade to a Vario has made a great improvement in the
taste and draw-down of my coffee, made in the vac pot, Chemex, or CCD.  I
went with the Vario to solve the rest of my coffee problems, since I have a
nice hand-grinder that's capable for espresso, but not convenient for other
methods.  Since the upgrade, however, the Vario has been quite nice to use
for both espresso and other coffee prep methods.  I was amazed at the
difference in appearance between the fresh ground and spent grounds with my
old grinder (since gone down South to my dad since his grinder's timer died)
and the Vario,  I should have taken before and after photos before I shipped
the grinder home with him.

Keep in mind that the Vario is not the only good grinder out there for
coffee, just the one that I chose to cover both coffee and espresso.  I was
looking forward to the release of the Virtuoso Preciso--a virtuoso grinder
with a micro-adjustment mechanism bolted onto it--but it got pushed back to
September and I decided that I wanted to upgrade before then (and not be one
of the first customers to try out the new grinder).  I knew that I was
suffering with a poor grinder for coffee, but delayed upgrading due to
financial reasons saving up for a grinder upgrade this year after buying the
espresso machine last year.  It's been a long wait.  I've even tried a few
times grinding coffee in the morning at home into a one cup canning jar to
take to work to brew in the AP (AeroPress) or CCD (Clever Coffee Dripper).
The jury is still out, but I think I get a better cup this way then grinding
the coffee here at work with a whirly blade freshly before use.  It's also
nice not to have to worry about running the grinder at work while someone
may try and be on the phone or wonder what I'm up to.

Tom sells both the Maestro Plus and the Virtuoso which should both be
capable of grinding for vac pot, but the step size between the grinds makes
it more challenging to dial in espresso using these grinders.

-Chris