[Homeroast] Grinder for Vac Pot

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:23:47 CDT 2010

Hi Phil,

A good grinder is essential to getting the best results from your vacuum
brewer.

Also, you'll want to be able to experiment with grind to get your best
flavor. A grinder that, at a minimum, produces consistent coarser grinds
gives you your best shot at being able to experiment across a full range of
grind. That's actually not as easy as it sounds, as a good coarse grind is
an elusive thing.

I've found the best flavor coming from medium-coarse settings on your
grinder. That runs counter to the general recommendation that you go a bit
finer.

That said, coarser grinds, counterintuitively enough, create problems with
drawdowns that you can fix by, get this, going finer. Especially with an
"espresso grinder," which is optimized for finer settings.
I recommend the Baratza Vario. Not only does it perform extremely well in
producing consistent grinds at all levels, it yields a great tasting cup of
coffee.

Thanks.
Doug