[Homeroast] La Pavoni

Derek Bradford derekbradford at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 16:33:17 CDT 2010

I've redone my seals a few times.  Like another poster mentioned, get the
seals for about $30 and go to it.  The only thing to watch out for is that
you get the right gaskets for your machine- pre or post-Millennium model
(which is pre in your case).  Once you've done it once or twice, it takes
about 30 minutes to do a complete overhaul, assuming you're not descaling at
the same time.

On a side note, have you considered getting the brass piston to replace the
plastic one?  The brass is much easier to get (and keep) clean, and may
offer a little more temperature stability.  I can't say it really did that,
but I put in a brass piston and I think it was worth it for cleanliness
alone- I never trust that plastics aren't absorbing things they shouldn't
be.

You should also consider changing your gaskets more often; even with little
to no use, the seals will dry out and degrade.  I replaced my piston gaskets
annually and did all the others at the same time since there are so few and
they're all easy to get at.

--Derek

--
Every path but your own is the path of fate.  --Thoreau