[Homeroast] that Nekkid bottomless Portafilter

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 21:26:25 CDT 2010

Re: the video

Coffee looked too fresh to me, but I also didn't taste it.  The extraction may have been a leeeetle fast, but fresh coffee is going to do that as well (make an extraction "speed up" more).  When the cone moved you should have stopped the shot.  I always train our baristas to "watch for the flash."  What I mean by that is to look out for a flash of "blonding" near the end of the shot.  That flash of blonding is indeed channeling and it's the first indication that parts of the puck have given all they can give to the shot.  I tell my baristas to stop the shot at this point.  If you are looking at the bottom you can visibly see the tiger striping break apart, if you are staring at it from above you'll notice the cone jump off center.  For me, in my experience, that's the stop point.  Again, it comes down to your 'buds.  I didn't drink that shot, and I can visibly drink shots all day but that doesn't mean I know exactly what to do to make it better.  You
 said it tasted pretty good, so... yeah! lol

I'm not touching the single/double thing.  Except I will say too much headroom if you dose a single into a double.  The puck will expand too far and blow apart too quickly.  Also I feel it's near impossible to get a solid, "just as good as a double" extraction from a single basket.  I'll let you do the 1+1 on how I feel about singles. =)

-bry

Bryan Wray

Compass Coffee

360.831.1480

Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens