[Homeroast] that Nekkid bottomless Portafilter

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 15:13:33 CDT 2010

Yeah, I guess I'll play with WDT a bit.

I use a Zass Mokka hand grinder (it yields very fluffy non-clumpy grinds
into the drawer).  I usually put my Aeropress Funnel in the portafilter
basket, and dump the grinds from the drawer into the funnel, and then slowly
remove the funnel.  I think there might be an overabundance of coffee in the
center of my filter based on this technique.  Sometimes I tap the full
portafilter, either vertically or horizontally, prior to tamp to see if I
can get more even distribution.  Hopefully WDT will work more.  I'll see in
a few hours.

As an aside for the group, when people pull singles versus doubles, do they
just put a single dose in a double basket, or do they use the single
basket.  Currently I'm using the single basket for the singles, but it is on
my spouted portafilter instead of the nekkid portafilter.  And ... I'm too
lazy to repeatedly swap them out.  I'm just wondering if a single dose in a
double basket is too much underdosing.

What say the experts here?

Greg