[Homeroast] that Nekkid bottomless Portafilter

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Wed Sep 1 15:01:06 CDT 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Greg Hollrigel wrote:

> Right on Allon!  To my basic eyes, that looks great.  I guess I have some
> work to do on my technique.  I get good flavors, but much more movement of
> the cone and too often donuting of the stream in the first leg of the pull.

I'm experimenting with WDT. What I did was cut the bottom off one of the paper coffee cups they have here at work, and broke the center two tines off of a plastic fork; then, after dosing, I put the paper cup over the PF basket and fluff the grinds with the two-tined fork. Then level, tamp, and pull. This has solved my donut extraction problems.

I think the WDT helps overcome issues with the grinder/doser not related to the grind, but more to the way it is dosed out.
I'm gonna try an experiment - dose into a cup, then pour the grinds from the cup into the PF basket, and see if that helps. Maybe with a shake beforehand, we'll see.....

I grind premeasured beans with a Rossi RR45, into the doser, then empty the doser into the PF basket.

-
allon